Thursday, June 4, 2009

Twilight Meditations Sessions - Night 5

Sometimes, when I am up extremely early, the sky loses it's dark starry aspect and becomes the deepest blue imaginable.  The night is coming to the end, as the sun will inevitably make its way to the horizon...but not yet.

Deep Blue is set in Eb, a very expressive key that I don't often write instrumental music in.  The strings and winds especially shine in this piece, providing a warm bed for the acoustic guitar to lie in.

Toward the end of the piece, I am finally able to unveil my  secret weapon.  Gigaviolin.  Short of having a virtuoso violinist sitting in my studio with a Stradivarius and 20k in Mikes, this sample set for Gigastudio is so expressive it makes me wish I were a string player.

After speaking with Jenn a bit today,  we realized that the tempo map for this CD needed a bit of thinking through.  I originally wanted a solid hour, with a gentle rise of tempo right up until minute 59 of the disc.  Picture a Long gentle sloping U that doesn't quite get to where it started at the end.  This is when I was convinced that this would be a meditation cd.  There is a difference between meditation and meditative, and I am falling solidly into the latter category.  So, after quite a bit of thought, and some bribes to my brain of coffee and donuts (yum), I was able to ratchet this piece up at the end to almost the same tempo as I started in the CD.  We're not gonna go all the way up, because I wanted people to be a bit more relaxed since starting the listening.  It will make sense though, so you don't have to go past minute 45 to get a full Meditation in, if thats what you are using it for.  So consequently, the last track (or two) will be at original tempo, and just keep us at a nice even pace.

What happened to the original sessions I should be working with, already sketched out and good to go?  I have no idea.  I think Jenn and my 8 core conspired on some unconscious level to make those sessions disappear.  Its okay with me though, this journey is so enjoyable, I feel like it could be therapy.

Also, and I don't know why, the end reminds me of my children.  I think the hopeful, child like theme repeated by guitar, violin and oboe is theirs somehow...

Track : Deep Blue
Runtime : 7:30

Tomorrow and tomorrow...

jack

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So when do I get to hear it? I wanna hear the Giga Violin. :-)

I know a very good Violinist out in NYC if you ever want to use the real thing. He doesn't use a Stradivarius, but that would be a pain anyway as everything would have to be tuned differently. lol.

I'm really excited to hear this album when your done.

-Vinnie