Thursday, August 9, 2012

How to make a Thin Mix

I’ve been deep in the throes of album mixing this month, finishing off a Kirtan Pop album with my friend Robin Renée  http://www.facebook.com/RobinReneeFan?ref=ts

During mix, I was faced with a new instrument…well instrument selection that I am not altogether familiar with; miscellaneous percussion.  Well, hold on.  Let me rephrase.  I’ve mixed plenty of records with miscellaneous percussion in them, but not when the miscellaneous percussion is the only percussion element.  Robin is a very gifted writer and performer, and her instrument selection is unorthodox – to an engineer like me.  I learned a long time ago that there will always be people out there that know more about recording and engineering than I.  So when Kartikeya showed up with a car full of percussion I knew that the recording session – and consequently the mix sessions were going to be…interesting.

So, we’re in the midst of mix and I have to reconcile a common conundrum I face.  Do I compress the crap outa the percussion elements so they are completely audible and up front, or do I eschew the compression to let the instrumentation sound as natural as possible and deal with the other instruments (which are compressed already) as separate entities.  Compression can and will destroy the natural and beautiful attack timbe, and it can turn it into a “pop” which cuts through but isn’t ultimately what you initially recorded.

See, I have learned a lot over the last 20 years and hundred odd albums that I’ve worked on.  Cohesive mixing really is paramount in letting the songwriter’s artistry come through.  In the case of Robin’s record, its even more important, since each instrument really is complimenting others in terms of sound field and where it exists in the frequency spectrum.  That’s a part of what cohesive mixing is all about, but not the only thing.

Take for instance, a djembe and an acoustic guitar.  These are two instruments that can co-exist in a mix quite well, with minimal processing.  Now add Shakers.  Still Good?  Yep.  The shaker is primarily occupying a frequency space outside the Djembe and co-exists with the acoustic guitar – to a point.  Still sounds good.  Add more percussion now, like say – instruments you’ve never seen before.  These instruments produce sounds whose “Sweet Spot” occupies a variety of different points on the frequency spectrum.

Your mix has now become more complex.  If you approach mixing scientifically, you can measure overtones of certain instruments (especially if they are pitched) and make sure that there is no instances of kinetic ampli – Hang on.

I don’t approach Mixes that way.  I feel them I guess.  Comes with being self-taught I suppose.

Kartikeya’s instruments did occupy a great many points on the sound field, and consequently required some panning and compression so that their sweet over tones came through, on top of Robin’s guitar, lead vocal and 97 backup vocal tracks.

Then I backed off the compression.  I really liked the instruments without the compression.  Even though I have some really cool compressors.  Like an LA-2A and LA-3A.  Those compressors make me really happy.  

I'd created a Thin Mix.  After removing the compression the percussion got lost behind walls of vocals and fun electronic and acoustic instruments.

So is there a right answer?  I’m not sure.  In the good old days, (people like to say “Old School”) there were limited options to creating a full-bodied mix.  I mean, listen to a Beatles album that has not been Digitally Re-mastered.  Everything is raw, sometimes distorted.  While there is compression, it’s not as noticeable to me.  Those engineers knew better than I ever will.  And yet, if those albums had 30+ tracks to work with, they wouldn’t sound as good as they do today.

I do have 30+ tracks to work with.  I also have some of the equipment available to Abbey Road Studios in that era.   Yet the trend of music today, towards louder and more “Phat” makes a lot of those techniques obsolete.

I am still going to try to love my compressors…even though they sometimes hate me.

So, let me know if any of this “Resonates” with you.  For now, I’m going to try to strike a balance between a “Thin Mix” and a “Phat Mix”

j


No comments: