Friday, May 29, 2009

Twilight Meditations Sessions - Night 1

Morning Gang

Well, i've been working on my Meditation CD project for a while now.  Release date is quickly coming, and Jenn told me how long they need to turn around duplication.  So, its full steam ahead, in which will no doubt be an interesting week of midnight sessions.

It actually all started the night before last, with temporary additions to the studio.  I added an 88 Key controller (Yamaha S80) and some extra computer power for those really cpu intensive sections.  There are also three VERY cool mikes setup (thanks Jim!).  A Blue Woodpecker (Ribbon Mike), AKG 414XLII and a Earthworks condenser.  These are setup strategically in no particular fashion or reason, scattered about my studio, ready to capture whatever instrument or weird object,...or breath.. at a moments notice.

Since the majority of the album is written, either sketched in sessions or in my head, very little music really needs to be written.  Just orchestrated, mixed, mastered and out the door right?

Eeep!  I wish it would have been so easy.  Because as soon as I downbeated (is that even a word?) the first bar of the first track, I realized that it was going to go its own way with no consideration for what I've already done and what I wanted.  Yes, the CD has taken off of its own accord and now is laughing at me as I scramble to re-write, re-orchestrate, etc the entire Disc.

Ah, love being a composer, don't you?

Okay here's the scoreboard.  CD = 1 .   Jack = 0.
Okay, I didn't come away with nothing.  I have a rough mix of a completed first track, tentatively titled Twilight Falls, and it clocks in at 5 minutes.  I did have a different name for it, ask Jenn sometime, she'll laugh...at me...again ;)

See ya tomorrow
jack






No comments: